Monday, October 4, 2010

Need prayer, healing, or a spiritual reading?

This Saturday during Jesus Burgers we dragged the recycle bin into the middle of the street right in front of the DP house - on one side of the bin there was a sign that said, "free prayer" and on the other side was a sign that offered spiritual readings and prayer for healing.

As you can imagine with hundreds of people walking up and down the street the signs grabbed people's attention and caused them to stop and begin conversations with us. The spiritual readings is just a term that people in IV can relate to more than prophecy. And sure enough, we had people approach us all night wanting to get prayer and a spiritual reading. I wish I had the time and was able to record all the stories from this night, as I know they would be such an encouragement to many! Maybe one day we will do some kind of video and post a few of these stories each week as the love of God shows up in such powerful ways over people both sober and drunk every weekend in IV.

"for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matt 5:45)

One quick story: a guy approached me, definitely a little under the influence, telling me he is an atheist, but wanted prayer...I thought that was a little comical, but prayed anyway. As I began to pray for him God started showing me stuff about His family, divorce, broken friendships, stuff about music, and a few other things. After I got done praying he just looked at me and said, "That was gnarly. That was absolutely gnarly man." I was able to witness to Him, as I often do after these kind of reactions that God knows him, desires a relationship with him, and how good Jesus is!

One more: another guy approached a few of us as as he has been in and out of jail and wanted prayer...as we prayed, the love of God came all over him and he began to open his heart and receive what we were saying. Afterwards I talked with the guy and was able to share my story of how I started drinking at 12, got into all sorts of problems, and how Jesus set me free to be a son of a King!

Be praying for IV, God is on the move...pray that believers would be courageous, full of love, and walk in the power of God to be able to do stuff that only God can do!


5 comments:

Chris Emerling said...

That's so awesome! I've totally loved the Spiritual Reading thing ever since I first heard about it.

So J, I'm curious: when did you start getting into the gifts of the Spirit and signs and wonders? I do remember you teaching us as the house 07-08 that we all have the gift of prophecy (and I was skeptical), and going to a couple of meetings where people talked about gold dust and healings. But (I could be wrong) it seems like you guys in IVC have really cranked it up a notch. Am I right about this, or have I just not been noticing everything?

Jason Lomelino said...

Well Chris it has always been apart of the church, even a lot more before you showed up...God took us through some incredibly humbling stuff the years you were around so we pulled back a lot and grew in other areas...as covenant/love (relationship) has grown and increased we have been able to step out in a more mature way into kingdom/power (re-presenting). God is good, faithful, and teaching us a lot as a good Father does with His children.

Wells said...

i LOVE it!! what a great idea to reach out! can't wait for more stories. we will be praying for this!

Thanksgiving Feast 2006 said...

This is what the Kingdom is all about..Go for it..Love, Marty

Chris Emerling said...

You know, that's cool though because when I came into the house, what you guys were doing is what I really needed: love, community and even just a little bit of the gifts of the Spirit. I think I would have been way too skeptical and thought you guys were nuts if I came and saw what you're doing now. But after going through the awesome experience of the loving community life, and dealing with some intellectual issues I was working out, I became totally receptive (like, I devoured it) to Kingdom living by the time I came for the Bethel Supernatural Conference. Great timing by God!