Tuesday, November 16, 2010

10 Books I Recommend

Before I came to Christ at the age of 21 (I am now 30), reading was not my thing...however, as those who know, accepting Jesus into your life and making the King your life will change it in more ways than you could have ever imagined. Reading has definitely been one of those life changing things in my life.

It will be 10 years with Christ this March, and since 2001 I have probably read several hundred books concerning the Christian faith - everything from devotional reading, commentaries, biographies, and much more. God has used the reading of books as a significant way to communicate to me and grow me in Christ.

Here is a list of 10 books I would recommend to all believers, these are in no order of my favorite or greatest significance in my life. Almost all of these are devotional in nature, and most of them I have read multiple times. The best books for me are those that cause me to glorify Him more, know Him more, and provoke me to be like Him more.

And no the Bible is not mentioned, as every believer who has access to it should have it as their most prized possession they own. It's the only book that I have ever read and agree with 100%, as Jesus is the only person I have ever met and agree with 100% (Holly is about 98.7%, as we see food a bit different).

1. Imitation of Christ - Thomas à Kempis

2. Practicing the Presence - Brother Lawrence

3. Humility - Andrew Murray

4. Victory Over the Darkness - Neil Anderson

5. The Final Quest - Rick Joyner

6. The Ragamuffin Gospel - Brennan Manning

7. The Cross of Christ - John Stott

8. Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster

9. The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer

10. Church History in Plain Language - Bruce L. Shelley

* maybe I will post another 10 in a few month, it's ridiculous how many good books I wanted to include on this list

No comments: